With the introduction of Robotic Process Automation (RPA) and its application advantages, it is certainly the future for automation works in business world. It works, learns and adapt with varying situations and so cuts the cost and increases the efficiency as well as speed of the repetitive tasks. In this post, we will discuss about Robotic Process Automation (RPA), How it works, its advantages and application areas.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is Robotic Process Automation (RPA)
- 2 Technology behind Robotic Process Automation (RPA)
- 3 Advantages of Robotic Process Automation (RPA)
- 4 How Robotic Process Automation (RPA) is Different from Normal Automation
- 5 How to select best Robotic Process Automation (RPA) software
- 6 Applications of Robotic Process Automation (RPA)
What is Robotic Process Automation (RPA)
Automation is the method of making a system to function automatically without any external guidance. Robotic Process Automation (RPA) is a type of automated system. The Robotic Process Automation is being developed from more than three decades. However, the term RPA came into lime light with the beginning of 21st century.
In Robotic Process Automation, the system is programmed in such a way that it can perform high-volume, repetitive tasks that are usually performed by humans.
RPAs function more like “software robots” and are quite different from their physical counterparts i.e physical robots. RPA is most suitable for processes that are repeatable in nature and are based on certain rules or criteria. On the basis of criteria mentioned, it automates the processes involved in performing high-volume tasks.
Technology behind Robotic Process Automation (RPA)
There are three technologies on which Robotic Process Automation works: –
- Screen Scrapping
- Workflow Automation
- Artificial Intelligence
Screen scraping is the process of collection of data displayed on screen with the help of an application.
This data is then further moderated and displayed using a more modern interface.
Workflow Automation is the method to carry our data entry automatically by the help of software.
The Workflow Automation increases the order fulfillment rate by eliminating the requirement of manual data entry, increasing the data entry speed, accuracy and its efficiency.
Artificial intelligence is the process of reproduction of human intelligence by machines, mainly computer systems. In other words, we can also say that AI is a technology which makes machines process or respond data like human.
Advantages of Robotic Process Automation (RPA)
Robotic Process Automation has numerous advantages such as: –
- Processes can be achieved quickly in lesser amount of time.
- It has higher efficiency because of digitization and auto-auditing of data.
- It is cost effective and can save a lot by reducing human involvement in manual and repetitive tasks
- It reduces the chances of error and provides a better, fast and effective service to the customer.
- It can automatically ensure that all defined regulations and standards are complied with.
- As it reduces the human effort, the human workforce can be utilized in a better way for productive outcome.
How Robotic Process Automation (RPA) is Different from Normal Automation
A Normal Automation performs only the defined task and does not have the ability to learn and adopt the changes. However, an RPA has the ability to learn and adapt with the varying situation and exceptions. This software has the ability to control data, initiate events and interact with other systems autonomously.
For Example – if an e-form is missing a state/ province name, normal automated system will raise an exception which will later be viewed and corrected by the employee. However, an RPA can automatically match the zip code with state/ province name and self correct the exception without any human intervene.
How to select best Robotic Process Automation (RPA) software
The qualities which you must consider before selecting the best suitable Robotic Process Automation software are : –
- Speed: It should be quick to design, implement, test and optimize the new RPA process and bots.
- Simplicity: It should be easy to handle.
- Intelligence: It should have advanced learning tools to further improve with changing situations.
- Scalability: The RPA software should be centrally manageable and scaled for a big mass.
- Reliability: It should have built in self health monitoring and analytical facility.
Applications of Robotic Process Automation (RPA)
Some of the application areas of Robotic Process Automation (RPA) are enumerated below: –
- Online Shopping
- Data Transfer among The Systems
- Forms Processing
- Credit Card Functionalities
- Supply Chain Management
- Human Resources
- Customer Service
- Patient Registration in Hospitals
The various applications of Robotic Process Automation has been discussed in detail with examples in our below mentioned post.
You can also read: –
Ratna is a B.E (Computer Science) and has work experience in UK Mainframe IT industry. She is also an active Web Designer. She is an author, editor and core partner at Electricalfundablog.