The various responsibilities of Reliability engineer are:-
- One of the most important responsibilities of Reliability engineer is that he has to work in coordination with other Project engineers so as to ensure reliability, maintainability, availability, parts control, obsolescence management, configuration control etc of new product designs as well as improved designs of old products.
- He has to take active participation in developing reliable designs and installation and STW( setting to work) planning. He then accordingly plans and formulate the reliability evaluation process and acceptance test/inspection standards.
- He has to take active participation in the final field checks of the Participates in the final check out of the freshly commissioned products. This includes Factory acceptance tests and site acceptance tests. He will observe whether the product is meeting its specification standards or not.
- He has to monitor all the reliability related aspects of the product, quality control by keeping the production processes intact, the utility and safety standards.
- He has to make a professional and systematic approach for defining, designing, developing, monitoring and refining the product’s maintenance plan and its support for the defined life.
- He has to evaluate the re-occurring failures, identify its cause and give timely suggestions for improving the product’s reliability. This can be done by using :
— Root cause analysis (RCA) and Root cause Failure analysis (RCFA)
— Data evaluation methods like Weibull Tree analysis, Fault tree analysis, Six sigma analysis, Reliability modeling etc. Data evaluation tools are available online also. You only have to fill the required data for getting the result.
— Failure Reporting, Analysis and Corrective Action System (FRACAS)
- He has to to provide valuable suggestions in repair / replacement, repair / design modification, and manufacture / outsourcing of few components of the product.
The responsibilities of Reliability engineer is not limited to the above mentioned jobs only. There are many more. You have to keep this in mind that a Reliability engineer is a very crucial person of a production house and his call of duty is not confined to a single place or event.
Ratna is a B.E (Computer Science) and has work experience in UK Mainframe IT industry. She is also an active Web Designer. She is an author, editor and core partner at Electricalfundablog.