Steam is an online video game distribution platform. This post will discuss in detail about what is Steam, how to download steam, top 10 free games, types of refunds and how to request a refund.
What is Steam
Steam is an online platform for playing, creating games and you could also publish one on this web portal. It was developed by Valve Corp and their first release was in 2003. This company was founded by former Microsoft employees Gabe Newell and Mike Harrington.
Fig. 1 – Introduction to Steam
Counter Strike, It Takes Two, Naraka, Split Gate are some of the popular games on Steam. You can browse the newest, top selling and discounted games and movie products on Steam.
It gives the privilege of granting the refund to its customers for almost all the purchases, no matter what the reason is. Even if the PC does not support the requirements or the purchase made was a mistake: everything is eligible for the refund.
How to Download Steam
You can download Steam App for your mobile device or use its web feature. To access Steam from your computer, you can click on Steam link.
You can also download the Steam App from Microsoft Store or Google Play store.
Fig. 2 – Screenshot of Webpage
How to Get Free Games on Steam
To play latest and free games, follow the below mentioned steps:
- Open the App or visit their website
- Under “Browse by Genre” on the left hand side of the webpage, choose “ Free to Play” option from the menu.
- Select the game you wish to play.
Top 10 Free Steam Games
The top 10 Free Games are:
- Realm Royale
- Team Fortress 2
- Dota 2
- PlanetSide 2
- Path of Exile
Fig. 3 – Top 10 Free Games
Types of Steam Refund
The Steam Refunds can be applied within two weeks of the purchase. Another criterion to apply for the refund is that the playtime should be less than 2 hours. Let us take a look at how to get a refund on Steam in case of other purchases:
- Downloadable Content Refund
- In-game Purchases Refund
- Refunds for Pre-purchased Titles
- Refunds for Steam wallets
- Refunds on Renewable Subscriptions
- Refunds on the Hardware
- Refunds on Bundles
- Refunds on Purchases not made on the Steam
- Refunds on Video
- Refunds on the Gifts
Downloadable Content Refund
Here are few conditions for the refund to be processed successfully for a DLC:
- It should have been purchased not later than fourteen days from the date of request of the refund.
- The underlying title should not have been played more than two hours since its purchase.
- The DLC should not have been modified, consumed or transferred.
- Some DLC is non-refundable where it has been irreversibly levelled up to a game character.
In-game Purchases Refund
Here are the terms and conditions for the in-game purchases to be eligible for the refund:
- Refund for the in-game purchases is offered if the purchase has been made within forty-eight hours from the refund request.
- In-game items should not have been modified, consumed or transferred.
Third-party developers are eligible for the refund with the same terms, which is told to them in advance at the time of purchase if the one they are purchasing is refundable or not.
Refunds for Pre-purchased Titles
If you pre-purchase a title from Steam, which means if it has been paid in advance, you can ask for a refund any time before releasing the title. Also, the same 14 days or 48 hours Steam refund policy, applies to them after the release of the titles.
Refunds for Steam Wallets
The refund on the Steam Wallet can be requested within the fourteen days of their purchase on Steam, and moreover, they should not have been used at all within that time to become eligible for the refunds.
Refunds on Renewable Subscriptions
Steam offers some services and contents where the payment is made periodically, monthly or yearly. A customer can ask for returning a game on Steam on the portal, if the renewable subscription has not been used within the most recent billing cycle. This request should be forwarded to the Steam team within 48 hours of the initial purchase of the content or service from Steam.
The content will be considered if the customer plays any game within the most recent billing cycle. Even if any discounts or benefits included with his subscription are used, it would be termed as the user content, and the customer would lose the chance to get the Refund.
It should also be noted that once the subscription is cancelled, it would not get renewed automatically, but the customer shall still have access to the benefits he used to get for the subscription and the content.
Refunds on the Hardware
According to the hardware Return policy, a client can request a refund for the hardware purchased from Steam and also the accessories due to any reason within the time frame. This depends on the type of hardware or the accessory because the timelines vary from one hardware to another.
The client should ensure that the hardware is shipped back within 14 days from the time the refund was requested from the support team. The customer is also advised to go through all the guidelines for the hardware refund policy and follow all the procedures for a successful refund.
Refunds on Bundles
If a customer wishes to take a full refund on the Steam bundles that have been purchased, he can certainly go ahead with it, as long as the total usage time for all the services in the bundle is not more than 2 hours. If the bundle has a game or a DLC, which is non-refundable, the customer can still forward the request, and the team would look into it.
Refunds on Purchases not made on Steam
There is no provision for the refund of the purchases that have been made outside Steam.
Refunds on Video
Video contents like movies, series, etc., are not eligible for refunds.
Refunds on the Gifts
The customer can forward the request for the gifts within 14 days or a 2-hour policy as applicable. Once the refund is granted, the amount of the refund will be sent to the original purchaser.
How to Request a Refund
Let us take a stepwise look at the procedure of applying for the refund:
- Login to the Steam account.
- After successful login, click on purchase.
- Check for the investment you are looking for a refund. Click the desired purchase. If you do not see the purchase under the list, it is not eligible for a refund.
- After selecting the purchase, choose fix the problem or the issue for which you would like the refund.
- Click on the option that says I’d like to request a refund.
- Fill the form and submit it.
- Also, select the refund payment option from the dropdown.
- After the refund request is completed, you would receive a confirmation email at the registered email address.