Typing Square Root Symbol in Word is quite easy. This post will discuss what is Square Root Symbol, how to get Square Root Symbol in Word using symbols menu, AutoCorrect option and Alt Codes.
What is Square Root Symbol
Square Root Symbol is a mathematical symbol which is used in solving numerical problems. Square Root of a number is also defined as a value that can be multiplied by itself to give the original number. (√) is the symbol for Square Root also called as Radical sign or Radix.
Fig. 1 – Introduction to Square Root Symbol
How to get Square Root Symbol in Word
Square Root Symbol can be inserted in your document using several ways such as:
- From the ‘Symbols’ menu.
- Using AutoCorrect option.
- Through Alt Codes.
Square Root Symbol from the ‘Symbols’ menu
Following the steps mentioned below, you can get the Square Root Symbol in Word.
- Click on Insert Tab on the Ribbon in Microsoft Word.
- Then click on Symbol drop down option.
- Thereafter choose “More Symbols”.
- On this pop-up window, Font type must be “Normal Text”.
- Choose “Mathematical Operators” option from “Subset”.
- Finally, Select Square Root Symbol (√) and click on ‘Insert’ button.
Fig. 2 – Square Root Symbol from Symbol Menu
Square Root Symbol using AutoCorrect Option
The second method to get the Square Root Symbol is by using Autocorrect option.
- Click on the File Tab on the Ribbon in Microsoft Word.
- Then scroll down and click on ‘Options’.
- Thereafter click on ‘Proofing’ Tab and then click on AutoCorrect button.
- As a result, “AutoCorrect” pop-up window opens with different tabs.
- Now Click on ‘Math Auto Correct’ tab and check box beside “Math AutoCorrect rules outside of math regions” must be selected.
- After placing a ‘Check’ in the checkbox, click on ‘OK’.
- Return to the document where you wish to insert the Square Root Symbol.
- At last, Type \sqrt and hit spacebar to insert the symbol (√).
Fig. 3 – Square Root Symbol using AutoCorrect Option
SR Symbol using Alt Codes
Alt Code shortcut for Square Root Symbol is the easiest of all the methods.
- Place the cursor on the document where you want to insert the Square Root Symbol.
- Type 221A
- Hit Alt + X to convert the code to Square Root Symbol.
Fig. 4 – Square Root Symbol using Alt Codes
Point to Note
Adding a Square Root Symbol in Microsoft Word serves the purpose of displaying the symbol but does not perform any mathematical calculations.