Toll-Free Number can be dialed from the landlines or mobiles with no charge to the person placing the call. This post will discuss what is Toll-Free Number, Vanity Number, how to dial national/ international toll free numbers and how to trace it.
What is Toll-Free Number
Toll-Free Number is a free phone number and placing a call to the Toll-Free numbers from mobile or land lines is free of charge. Additionally, these numbers are commonly used by customer service centers, call centers or solution providers.
Fig. 1 – Introduction to Toll-Free Number
Customers find it convenient to call these numbers as they are not charged. These numbers usually begin with three-digit codes: 800, 888, 877, 866, 855, 844 or 833. Federal Communications Commission is responsible in assigning these numbers to businesses.
Alternatively, there are many IP-telephony providers online from where you can purchase toll-free numbers. One such company is Freezvon.com. They even provide virtual phone numbers for calls, SMS, Fax etc.
Types of Toll-Free Numbers
There are three types of toll-free numbers. They are:
- Domestic Toll-Free Numbers
- International Toll-Free Numbers
- Universal International Freephone Numbers
Domestic Toll-Free Numbers
In this, customer reach has a limit as it operates within a specific country. Also, Customers do not get charged if they dial this type of numbers within a country.
International Toll-Free Numbers
We can dial these numbers from different countries and international call rates might apply for certain numbers.
Universal International Freephone numbers
As the name suggests, these numbers are Universally Freephone Numbers. It is abbreviated as UIFN. Further, Single Universal Freephone number can operate across 45 countries and is administered by the International Telecommunication Union.
Fig. 2 – UIFN across 45 Countries
What is Vanity Number
Vanity number is also a toll free number that is a combination of both numbers and phrases. Some companies prefer these Vanity Numbers as it is easy to remember by the customers and it helps in their advertising. For example – 1-800-Flowers, 1-800-GoFedEx, 1-800-Loans etc. Also, You can get one for your business at Vanity Number: Vanity Phone Numbers and Grasshopper Virtual Phone System | Manage Your Calls Online.
How to Dial Toll Free Number from Mobile
Dialing a toll-free number is the same as you would dial any other phone number. Follow these below mentioned simple steps to dial a toll-free number.
- Enter the number using number pad.
- Thereafter, Press the call button to initiate the free call.
How to Dial Vanity Number from Mobile
As we are aware that every number from 2-9 on the dial pad corresponds to letters as shown below:
2 – A,B,C
3 – D,E,F
4 – G,H,I
5 – J,K,L
6 – M,N,O
7 – P,Q,R,S
8 – T,U,V
9 – W,X,Y,Z
If you want to dial 1 800 Loans, then you must dial the numbers corresponding to the letters i.e. 1 800 56267 (56267=LOANS)
Fig. 3 – Vanity Number
How to Dial International Toll-Free Number
You can dial a Toll-Free number only if it is a universal International Freephone number else international calling rates would apply. Follow the steps mentioned below to dial an International Toll-Free number.
- Confirm if the number you are dialing is a Universal International Freephone number.
- If it is a freephone number, then dial country’s exit code following the telephone number. 011 is the exit code if dialing from US.
- Alternatively, you can sign-up for service with IP Telephony providers like Hangouts, Whereby, Collabify etc., you can dial toll free numbers once you have signed up.
How to Trace Toll Free Number
If you want to know about the details of the toll free number to which company it belongs to; then you could follow these steps:
- Redialing the same number will help you know the details of the business who contacted you.
- If you are unable to connect when you redial, then search Google for 800 number with quotation marks.
- You can also visit www.customtollfree.com or www.internettollfree.com and enter the toll-free number to know the details.
Fig. 4 – Snapshot of Webpage Customtollfree.Com
Advantages of Toll-Free Number
The advantages for any business include:
- It can be used as the best tool for marketing purposes.
- Additionally, anyone can avail these toll free numbers easily and at affordable prices.
- It is also used to provide solutions to customers which increases the brand image of the business.
Disadvantages of Toll-Free Number
The disadvantages are:
- Free provision often results in unsolicited calls.
- Also, there can be leakage of Customer’s data.
- Business Owners pay for the incoming calls made by Customers.
Also Read: Steam - How to Download Steam, Free Games, Refund Types What is Ymail - Login Features, How to Set-Up & Delete Ymail